Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill is a profound book that teaches you how to leverage your creative powers to manifest your goals. I’ve previously a summary of Hill’s review on leadership qualities. As a third topic, I want to share his Confidence Formula. He encourages people to memorize, and then regularly repeat it to themselves. I think it’s too much to memorize (yes, I can be lazy), so I made a cheat sheet and keep it in my life planner for daily review.
During a spring vacation I fell out of the habit of reading it. Last week I stumbled across m cheat sheet while cleaning out my agenda. As I reviewed it, I got excited. I remembered how this formula shifted the tone of my thinking which, in turn, shifted the overall tone of my day. I will share it below in the exact words Hill uses, but first I am giving an interpretation of it in my words because it is dated and it’s easy to overlook its value when the language feels clunky.
Confidence Formula (my take)
- I know I can complete any objective once I set a purposeful intention to do so. Knowing this, I expect persistence from myself until my objective is achieved, and I promise now to show that persistence going forward.
- I understand that the dominating thoughts I keep directly influence the actions I take and the way I see the world. These in turn, influence the reality I create for myself. Therefore I will spend 30 minutes every day to reflect on the person I want to become, creating a clear mental image of that person.
- I know that through the Law of Attraction, any goal that I hold regularly in my mind must manifest in the most practical way. Therefore I will devote 10 minutes every day to meditation on what the achievement of that goal will look and feel like.
- I have a clearly written and defined goal that aligns with a purpose I consider meaningful. I will show grit in pursuing this goal and won’t give up before it’s achieved.
- I fully realize that no wealth or position can last unless it’s based in truth and justice. I won’t pursue transactions which could cause anyone harm. I will succeed by attracting the cooperation of other people. They will want to work with me because of my willingness to serve others. I will eliminate hatred, jealousy, selfishness and cynicism in myself by focusing on appreciation and love. A negative attitude toward others cannot bring me success. Others will believe in me because I believe in them and in myself.
Confidence Formula (original)
- I know I have the ability to achieve the object of my definite purpose in life. Therefore I demand of myself persistent, continuous action toward its attainment, and I here and now promise to render such action.
- I realize the dominating thoughts of my mind will eventually reproduce themselves in outward, physical action and gradually transform themselves into physical reality. Therefore I will concentrate my thoughts for 30 minutes daily upon the task of thinking of the person I intend to become, thereby creating in my mind a clear mental picture of that person.
- I know through the principle of autosuggestion, any desire that I persistently hold in my mind will eventually seek expression through some practical means. Therefore I will devote 10 minutes daily to demanding of myself the development of self-confidence.
- I have clearly written down a description of my definite chief aim in life, and I will never stop trying until I shall have developed sufficient self-confidence for its attainment.
- I fully realize that no wealth or position can long endure, unless built upon truth and justice. Therefore I will engage in no transaction which does not benefit all whom it affects. I will succeed by attracting to myself the forces I wish to use and the cooperation of other people. I will induce others to serve me, because of my willingness to serve others. I will eliminate hatred, envy, jealousy, selfishness, and cynicism, by developing love for all humanity, because I know that a negative attitude toward others can never bring me success. I will cause others to believe in me, because I will believe in them, and in myself.
I love this formula. I’m sure you can sense how reading this daily will improve your overall mental attitude. Through this practice you fertilize your mind for productive thoughts which grow into fruitful actions. It aligns closely with the philosophy that a person’s thoughts influences his speech, which influences his actions, which influences his habits, which defines his character.
With the nature of our media (its focus on consumerism and fear) and my desire to be an honorable person, I mean to train myself by using this formula. When I previously practiced it, I felt more upbeat, experienced greater confidence in regards to my goals, saw more opportunities and was better able to spread optimism to the people I interacted with. I want this again, and I think it is exactly what the world needs.
Please consider adding this to your daily habits and report back the impact it has on you.